Choose Kindness or Be Kind: Either One Works

 

Choose Kindness or Be Kind: Either One Works

By Susan Cairns 

 If what you do makes a difference, then you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. 

Jane Goodall was speaking, and I was riveted. Her gentle wisdom, laser focus and unabashed confidence had me mesmerized for more than two hours. But that wasn’t enough. I needed more. Nursing my red and applause-damaged hands, I mustered up a rare truckload of courage, as I elbowed my way through a crowd of adoring fans. Suddenly I was staring into a set of pale blue eyes that burned into my brain. Before I could stop myself, I asked if she remembered me. Her gaze turned from boredom, to annoyance, and just as I was about to flee, I saw a glint of curiosity.  

“I’ve known you for more than 20 years,” I said. She managed a sly Mona Lisa smile and nodded. After she extracted herself from the throng, we met in the hotel lounge. 

 Now Jane Goodall is not only brilliant, compassionate, far-seeing, gentle and kind, but she is also gracious.

“Where did we meet?” she asked as she slipped her tiny frame into a huge, leather lounge chair.  

“Would you like a glass of wine,” I inquired. “Or anything else?  Doesn’t have to be wine – do you like beer, maybe a martini?”  

“Martini – who drinks those?” I thought as I desperately cast my eyes around in search of a waiter. 

“I’ll have sloe gin on ice with water on the side – she instructed the suddenly attentive server.  

“So will I”, I said with ridiculous enthusiasm. 

“Not many people like that”, she said, her lip curving into that quizzical smile. 

“My favourite,” I replied, even though I had never had anything close to such a concoction – and never will again. 

That was how, as a young journalist, I met Jane Goodall. We talked for more than an hour and during that encounter I came to understand what true kindness is and how it is manifested by people of wisdom and grace. 

Throughout my years as a teacher, journalist, magazine publisher and executive director of the Langley School District Foundation, I have observed and experienced many acts of kindness and even though I am into my seventh decade on this earth, I am still astonished by the magnitude and depth of the events. I have watched as people with few dollars give what little they have to others. I’ve seen young people sacrifice their time and energy to help their elders and vice-versa. I’ve been brought to tears by the dedication of teachers when it comes to their students. I’ve marveled at the generosity of Langley businesses, associations and individuals who always come forward when they hear that their fellow citizens need help. 

As a journalist I scoured the Downtown East Side and watched as a group of characters came together to provide protection and solace to all who were trying to survive in desperate circumstances. I’ve travelled throughout the world and seen how people in countries with no social safety net help each other – providing food, transportation, care giving and child support. 

If money is the root of all evil, as it often is, especially in these times; then kindness is the stem of all goodness and it often is, especially in these times. 

Choose Kindness or Be Kind 

The Langley School District Foundation has designed two beautiful cotton t-shirts for all to wear at your stores, restaurants, businesses, schools and associations. Our message is clear – Choose Kindness or Be KIND. The T-shirts are on sale for $20 each ($10 for children's sizes). Please purchase, distribute to your staff, and don them on our BE KIND Day, then send in pictures and we will display them throughout all our print and social media outlets. 

All proceeds go to support the Langley School District Foundation’s Pandemic of Kindness Campaign to provide $50 gift cards each week to more than 650 struggling families for as long as the coronavirus crisis persists. 

Send cheques to Langley School District Foundation, 4875-222nd Street, Langley, BC V3A 3Z7, Attn: Susan Cairns, or order on line at www.langleyschooldistrictfoundation.com.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding High at the 12th Annual Grand Prix Gala

Making learning UNFORGETTABLE for every Langley student

Hole New Ball Game - 12th Annual Foundation Golf Tournament